Eight top Learning Platform features to improve the onboarding experience
To make digital onboarding a reality you need a platform that will curate and deliver your digital assets and the tools to facilitate the digitization of the onboarding procedures and processes. The Learning Pool platform can do it all and represent a one-stop-shop to improve digital onboarding. What’s more, a Learning Platform is not only capable of replicating existing manual, paper-based onboarding, it also makes onboarding more efficient and effective.
Why use a Learning Platform?
An Learning Platform enables the automation of onboarding saving time and costs. It reduces overheads and frees up HR and managers to make more meaningful contributions during onboarding, such as mentoring or targeted interventions. The platform centralizes and standardizes the digital onboarding process and becomes the go-to place for new hires, admin staff, team leaders, and managers.
Learning Pool’s platform functions allow you to cover all the steps from enrolment to certification. Its array of features that are accessible across devices, on the go, and in the workflow. It makes for a more arresting, engaging onboarding experience that aids employee retention and improves productivity during onboarding.
Personalized onboarding meets users’ immediate needs and can fast-track new hires into the workplace rather than overwhelm and discourage them with too much information too soon. Using a learning platform also sends a signal that onboarding is a critical part of the learning and training needed to develop careers and not a one-off event that is to be endured then forgotten. The platform relieves the strain of onboarding new hires and admin staff and makes it more productive and profitable.
Top Learning Platform features to improve onboarding
Learning Pool’s platform offers key features that make digital onboarding work and improve the onboarding experience.
- Enrolment: A learning platform allows you to enroll new hires either singly or in groups. Once they’re set up in the system you can assign managers, team leads, and mentors. You can even enroll new hires before they actually start with the organization so they can familiarize themselves with the information they’ll need before they begin work. You can use the auto-enrolment features so that registration information is automatically populated into the new hires’ account. The platform can talk to your HR systems allowing for a seamless two-way exchange of data. This way critical data is captured and shared and, most importantly, doesn’t fall through the cracks.
- Creating a starter pack: Orientation and onboarding can often end up with disorientation during the first few days in a new job. Create a starter pack with all the information new hires need to find their feet. This could include a welcome-to-the-company presentation that can be always available and can be viewed as often as needed at the new hire’s time of choosing. You could design and upload an interactive guide and map to answer perennial, first-day questions like where to get supplies, where’s the canteen or bathroom, or where can I find HR or my manager. That orientation map can be supplemented with FAQs and documents that need to be completed. Whatever you choose to include in the starter pack by putting it in the learning platform you make that critical information easily and always accessible, avoid information overload, and allow new hires a sense of control.
- Adopting microlearning: You can store and curate a library of micro-learning assets. These bite-sized pieces of learning are more manageable, memorable, and motivational than the classroom-based course which happens only once and then soon begins to fade in the memory. Use the content builder to create your own onboarding microlearning assets. This could a single-screen infographic with important information or a blog from a fellow worker on making it through onboarding. It extends to more formal training in processes and procedures but is broken down into chunks that are quick to digest and get right to the point. The platform gives you the scope and the freedom to use whatever digital content you have and present it in a way that’s appropriate for people who’ve become increasingly used to going directly to the source of the information they need whenever they want. Digital content can be easily updated meaning that information is always current and standardized.
- Building learning paths: Once you have your microlearning assets in place you can start bundling them to create learning paths. In providing multiple you encourage new hires to navigate their own way through onboarding training. Milestones can be mapped out and completion of tasks and milestones recorded. Quizzes or check-ups can be added to check understanding and readiness. You can allow learners the discretion of completing tasks at their own pace in the order of their choosing.
- Checking progress: The learning path represents a journey and the platform can track progress along that journey. A personalized dashboard provides a visual record and map of the progress and the new hire’s journey through onboarding. The dashboard is also available to HR and managers to check milestones reached or due. The dashboard interface provides a quick overview of progress, but you can generate more detailed reports on all aspects of the new hires’ interaction with the system. Detailed reporting facilitates better feedback and highlights where interventions may be needed. The new hires’ dashboard details the entire record of their onboarding progress.
- Automating notifications: Progress is also managed by a system of automated notifications. New hires and their managers can be alerted directly with due dates for completion of a stage or piece of work and when those dates have passed. Announcements can be scheduled to keep learners on track and a system of recommendations helps guide new hires along their learning path. The automated system of notifications, alerts, and recommendations helps keep new hires motivated and supports mentoring.
- Achieving certification: New hires can self-certify when completing various elements of onboarding like reviewing policy documentation or accessing training. This gives ownership to those going through the onboarding process and removes some of the administrative burdens from HR and managers. There’s also provide an award system of badges that can be gained as new hires complete milestones in their onboarding experience. Digital badging recognizes progress and attainment and becomes part of employees’ training records.
- Engaging interfaces: All these features are accessible via the flexible, adaptable interface which is easy to configure and reconfigure. This means you can add new applets and widgets to it as they become available. They are highly customizable and can easily be branded and themed. New content can be rapidly developed and displayed making for a dynamic and engaging learning experience. By creating an attractive front end utilizing the interface design features you encourage your new employees to regard the platform as the place to go not only for their onboarding but also as a source for the latest information on the wider organization. It becomes a way of introducing new hires to the organization’s culture.
Improve the onboarding experience with our Learning Platform
The Learning Pool platform supports and enhances the entire digital onboarding process. It coordinates, centralizes, and delivers key information, tasks, and processes. It helps make onboarding a seminal and engaging experience for new hires. Onboarding with the platform fast-tracks employees into work leading to improved productivity and performance. Added benefits for the organization include savings in admin and training time and money and better employee retention and performance.
In getting new employees off to the right start the Learning Platform prepares them for what’s to come. In onboarding through a learning platform new hires learn to trust the system and learn its features and functions. This prepares them for using it as a source of self-serve information and learning throughout their career.
Onboarding using our platform establishes the connection between work and learning, develops a sense of responsibility in new hires for their future career progression, and helps create a culture of learning within an organization.
Effective onboarding has never been more critical. Get in touch to find out how Learning Pool can help.
Got a learning problem to solve?
Get in touch to discover how we can help